Note: This story was updated to clarify the victim’s age.
ELYSBURG — A 67-year-old man died Friday after he caught fire at his home in Northumberland County.
Coroner James Kelley and Trooper James Nizinski, state police fire marshal, withheld the victim’s name pending further investigation and notification of family.
According to Nizinski, the man was seated in a motorized wheelchair inside his garage at 166 Hemlock Lane when the fire occurred. The garage door was open at the time, Nizinski said, but he hasn’t confirmed what circumstances caused the man to catch fire.
“At this point, there are no suspicious circumstances. The fire appears to be accidental,” Nizinski said.
Northumberland County 911 dispatched first responders to the victim’s home about 10:20 a.m. for a reported structure fire with possibly two people entrapped.
Eric Haupt, assistant fire chief with Elysburg Fire Department, said a live-in caretaker attempted to help the man after being alerted to the fire by smoke detectors. The caretaker’s name also was withheld. Haupt said the caretaker was believed to suffer smoke inhalation and was to be evaluated at a local hospital.
The property is a ranch home with attached garage. It was rented to the victim and is owned by Patricia and Charles Schultz, Nizinski said.
Lois Moffitt and her…